Wilson Place Mansion
Built by the founder and first mayor of the city of Menomonie, three generations of the Wilson family have called the Wilson Place Mansion their home.
Home of the Wilson, Stout and LaPointe families -- three generations of Menomonie founding families -- the Wilson Place Mansion has a history as rich and colorful as that of Menomonie and Dunn County. Built-in 1859 by Captain William Wilson, it was originally a large colonial-style house with a pillared porch. Captain Wilson, was a principal in the Knapp, Stout & Co. Company, founder and first mayor of the city of Menomonie, and the area's first state senator. In 1875, he enclosed the 22-acre estate with a sandstone wall, part of which fronts the museum today.
When Wilson died in 1892, it became the home of his daughter Angelina and son-in-law James Huff Stout, another principal in the lumber company, and civic leader. The couple extensively remodeled and expanded the home into a Queen Anne style mansion.
Additions included 17 marble fireplaces, a ballroom, a carved mahogany staircase, and wrap-around porches on all three floors.
In the early 1920s, Wilson's grandson, George Wilson LaPointe, Jr., and his wife Irene took possession of the home. LaPointe too was a lumberman and owned yards across Wisconsin and Michigan. The LaPointes reduced the size of the house by two-thirds to create a Mediterranean style villa --- the building we see today.
Today the home is The Wilson Place Mansion and provides a glimpse into the lives of Wilson and his descendants in each of the house's three major periods. The furnishings have been retained at this site since 1846. A guided tour of the museum provides visitors with a more detailed history of the home and its three generations of Wilsons.