1870
  • The Lean Wolf merges with Dunn County News in July, retaining the name of the latter.

  • Anglo-Catholic (Episcopal) services held in Menomonie.

  • A new four-classroom public school building built in block 76 original plat.


1871


  • Rails of the West Wisconsin Railroad reach Menomonie at Menomonie Junction.

  • After 13 years of temporary locations in downtown Menomonie, a new courthouse opens on a city block where Wilson Park is now located. The Italianate Victorian building is a gift of Thomas B. Wilson.

  • George Hanneymer builds the Merchant's Hotel in the 500 block of Broadway.


1872



  • Dunn County Agricultural Society holds its first fair. It would be 14 years before another fair would take place.

  • Telegraph line extended to Menomonie.

  • Although Jesse Hughes operated a brickyard earlier, the first on record was the Kelly & Drowley yard on Hudson Road west of town.


1873


  • Merchant's Hotel opens next to Grob's Hall.

  • William Schutte, Sr., and Albert Quilling open a bank at the rear of their general store on Broadway, primarily because it was the only business in town that had a large, secure, walk-in safe.


1874


  • Public library established by women after saloon licenses voted down.


1875


  • A new weekly newspaper, the Menomonie Times, begins to publish.

  • Grace Episcopal Church dedicated on October 10.

  • German Methodist Episcopal Church relocates to a new facility on the southeast corner of Tenth Avenue and Eighth Street.

  • Union High School established, and John B. Ingalls replaces Jesse Thayer as city school superintendent.


1876


  • City of Menomonie takes over operation of public library.

  • Ludington Guard military cavalry unit, named after the governor of the state, organizes a band.

  • Water reservoir to serve the Knapp, Stout & Company completed on Meadow Hill.

  • Zion Evangelical Church (German) dedicates building on corner of Seventh Street and Eleventh on November 26.


1877


  • On January 16 Ludington Guard formed as a cavalry company with Thomas J. George as captain.

  • "Old Abe," famed Civil War eagle, paraded in Menomonie by his handler in the war, town of Dunn resident David McLain, during the Fourth of July reunion of veterans. This was the last public appearance of the eagle before his death by fire in the Wisconsin State Capitol.


1878


  • The Knapp, Stout & Company incorporated as the "Knapp, Stout & Co., Company" with a capitol stock value of $2 million.

  • First telephones come to Menomonie.

  • Yale lock boxes installed in post office.

  • On June 23 Ludington Guard cavalry unit called to duty because of "Indian troubles" in Burnett County.


1879


  • F. J. McLean opens a state bank on the southeast corner of Main and Second Streets.




< Last Decade | Next Decade >