- James Lockwood sends another crew to the Wilson Creek site in May 1830 to rebuild the dam and mill. This time the crew included a mixed blood Menominee woman who served as a cook and acted as interpreter with the Ojibwe The mill was not finished until March 1831. This was the first operational mill in the Chippewa/Red Cedar valleys. Lockwood moved his family to the site creating the first year-round settlement in the future Menomonie. Lockwood erected a second mill on Gilbert Creek in May. After about 100,000 feet of lumber had been sawed at the Wilson Creek mill, another flood took out the dam but left the mill intact. By August Lockwood was reconstructing the dam on Wilson Creek with George Wales, an ex-army lieutenant who supervised construction of the Gilbert Creek mill, in charge.
- Henry Schoolcraft, surveying the length of the Red Cedar River for the U. S. Government, spends the night of August 10 sleeping at Kakabika Falls (Cedar Falls) and the next day continues on to observe the work going on at the Wilson Creek mill.
- Lockwood sells the Gilbert Creek mill and a part-interest in the Wilson Creek mill to H.S. Allen, a man from Vermont who had come to the valley the year before to cut square timber. Allen agrees to fulfill the obligations with the Dakota and Ojibwe. Wales moves on to Eau Galle to build a mill.
- John H. Fonda moves with his family to the Wilson Creek mill site to work for Lockwood. He stayed there until 1839.
- H.S. Allen constructs a new "lower" mill on Spring (Irvine) Creek and runs it along with the upper mill (Wilson Creek) and the middle mill (Gilbert Creek). He sells the lower mill to Stephen C. McCann in the same year.
< Last Decade | Next Decade >